September court date set for Taglianetti
MAYVILLE – A fall court date has been scheduled for the murder trial of Anthony R. Taglianetti II.
Chautauqua County District Attorney David Foley confirmed Monday the trial will begin Sept. 17 in county court.
Taglianetti faces a second-degree murder charge for his role in the shooting of Clymer schools Superintendent Keith Reed Jr., who was found dead outside his residence in September.
Court Judge John T. Ward met with the prosecution and defense in a pre-trial conference Monday in Mayville.
Taglianetti is being represented by Ned Barone, county public defender, and has been held in County Jail since his Dec. 19 arraignment.
Barone said his office has been working “around the clock” preparing for trial.
“At this point, certainly, we are planning to proceed to trial,” he said. “We’re in the process of going through everything that was disclosed in discovery. Right now we are just looking through all of that, because there is a lot.”
An earlier trial date had been discussed, but a September date ultimately was chosen.
Foley said his office is ready to proceed, as well.
“Typically our cases are pretty much put together by the time we present it to the grand jury,” he said. “We do a lot of work preparing everything, so I think we are ready to go.
“There are always new things that come up during any trial. But right now we anticipate being fully prepared.”
Police said Taglianetti drove from his home in Virginia and confronted Reed outside his Clymer residence on Sept. 21. Reed’s body was found days later by sheriff’s deputies.
Authorities have not released an official motive for the murder.
After a massive manhunt, Taglianetti was found in Virginia and was extradited back to Chautauqua County in December. He pleaded innocent at arraignment.