Retrospective

Twenty years ago – 1993

Buster Bison brings smiles to the faces of several young fans during an appearance at Dunkirk School No. 6. Buster is shown in a photo holding Nicholas Dudzic, along with Robert Lawrence, Jennifer Aldrich and Pamela Ross, who were attending Buffalo Bison Night, co-sponsored by the School 6 Parents-Teachers Club and the Dunkirk Chamber of Commerce.

Thirty years ago – 1983

Members of the Dunkirk Garden Club and friends of the late Dorothy Edson Dean of Dunkirk met at the Brooks Hospital grounds to dedicate a corner garden in memory of Mrs. Dean, whose knowledge of flowers and gardens was almost legendary in this area. Mrs. Dean, a former member of the Garden and Bird Club of Fredonia, founded the Dunkirk Garden Club in 1946 and remained an active member until her death on May 2, 1982. She was also a moving spirit in the Chautauqua County Fair Flower Show for more than 25 years.

Forty years ago – 1973

Buildings housing the George H. Graf & Co. furniture store, 319 Central Ave., and Service Print, 11 West Third St., Dunkirk, have been sold to the Dunkirk Urban Renewal Agency.

Fifty years ago – 1963

Stephen J. Sekula, 604 Canary St., Dunkirk, was named by the Dunkirk Common Council as the city’s temporary building and housing inspector pending a Civil Service investigation.