Twenty years ago – 1993
Andrew J. Landis, M.D., has joined the medical staff at Brooks Memorial Hospital in Dunkirk, specializing in internal medicine. Dr. Landis received his doctor of medicine degree in 1987 from the Aristotelion University of Thessaloniki in Greece. He is a graduate of Fairleigh Dickinson University of Teaneck, N.J., where he received a bachelor of science degree in biochemistry. His office is located at 614 Central Ave., Dunkirk.
Thirty years ago – 1983
The only known copy of the Laona Times, a newspaper published in the 1840s, is on loan to the Historical Museum of the D.R. Barker Library as part of the exhibit on Laona and Shumla. The issue on exhibit, Vol. 1, No. 3 dated Dec. 26, 1840 has been owned by the Thies family of Laona for many years and is loaned by Mrs. Alice Thies Bachmann of Clarence, N.Y. The Laona Times was published semi-monthly by William Mason.
Forty years ago – 1973
The Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Department changed headgear today from the old Stetson-style straw hat to a new plastic helmet. After a two-month evaluation, the sheriff will decide whether or not they will remain part of the uniform.
Fifty years ago – 1963
John J. Manzella, son of Mrs. Laura Manzella, 124 Ruggles St., Dunkirk has completed state board requirements and has received a license to practice hairdressing and cosmetology in New York State. He will manage and operate the Fashion-Ette Beauty Salon, which will open in the near future in the Park Avenue Hotel.