Clymer murder details emerge

MAYVILLE – New de-tails in the shooting death of Clymer Central School Superintendent Keith Reed Jr. emerged Wednesday during a pre-trial hearing in Chautauqua County Court.

The hearings are connected to the upcoming fall trial of Anthony R. Taglianetti II, who was charged last year with second-degree murder.

Daniel Johnson, a senior investigator with the District Attorney’s Office, testified that Taglianetti’s wife, Mary, called police in the days after Reed’s body was discovered Sept. 24 outside his residence.

In a conversation with Johnson and Chautauqua County Sheriff Joe Gerace, Mary Taglianetti said her husband discovered an affair between her and Reed that occurred “years earlier.” Taglianetti allegedly found recent emails be-tween his wife and the sup-erintendent, Johnson said.

Mary Taglianetti told police her husband left at night on Sept. 20 and returned early Sept. 22.

Police believe Reed was killed at some point Sept. 21. His body was discovered by a sheriff’s deputy with gunshots to the torso, Johnson told the court.

Taglianetti was found in his 2003 Buick sedan by Virginia authorities shortly after he was announced as a suspect. He was extradited to New York in December.

Phone records obtained through a search warrant showed Taglianetti’s cellphone was in Chautauqua County at the time of the homicide. Email accounts and computers belonging to the Taglianettis were analyzed in Buffalo, Johnson said.

The search warrants used to seize the evidence were briefly questioned Wednesday by the County Public Defender’s Office. The pre-trial hearings were requested by Public Defender Ned Barone, who said he had “issues” with the identification and evidence linking Taglianetti to Reed’s homicide.

The Dale City, Va., resident was in court Wednesday and at times talked at length with his defense team. He has pleaded innocent to the murder charge.

Chautauqua County District Attorney David Foley said he could not openly discuss the pending trial, but said the identification and evidence hearings went as expected. “We have provided everything the judge has asked of us,” he said.

Judge John T. Ward presided over the hearings, and gave Barone two weeks to file motions regarding evidence.

The trial is scheduled to begin Sept. 17.