Evidence discussed at closed meeting

MAYVILLE – It has been determined that information brought forward by District Attorney David Foley on Tuesday will be allowed to be used in the second-degree murder trial for Anthony R. Taglianetti II.

In a closed hearing lasting more than two hours Wednesday, Judge John T. Ward heard from Foley and Public Defender Ned Barone regarding information brought forward prior to the commencement of jury selection earlier this week.

“Both sides, the defense and the prosecution, requested that it be closed,” Foley said. “It had to do with the sensitive nature of the evidence that the people were seeking to admit.”

Foley and Barone declined to comment on the nature of the information. According to Foley, the information will be allowed to be used in trial.

Barone said he is ready to go into jury selection Thursday.

“We’ve been prepared for some time,” Barone said. “We deal with whatever we’re dealt with. It’s never easy. Unfortunately, that’s the way the system is. With every punch you get, you get up and you keep going, and you come back the next day. Whether it’s good or bad, you continue to go on.”

Taglianetti, a former Dale City, Va., resident is charged with driving to New York and shooting Keith Reed Jr., Clymer Central School superintendent, over an alleged affair between Reed and Taglianetti’s wife.

Police named Taglianetti a suspect in the Sept. 21, 2012, homicide of Reed. He was taken into custody days later in Virginia, and in December was extradited to Chautauqua County. On Dec. 19, 2012, Taglianetti pleaded innocent to a second-degree murder charge. Taglianetti appeared in court in July for pre-trial hearings on evidence and identification.

According to Kathleen Krauza, chief clerk of Chautauqua County Supreme and County Courts, roughly 700 jurors received summons in relation to the Taglianetti case. Twelve will be selected to sit on the jury. It is unclear how many will be selected as alternates.

Foley declined to comment on the possibility of a change of venue for the case. However, Barone indicated it could be a possibility after seeing what occurs during jury selection.

“I think you can begin to get a sense of what kind of influence the publicity of this matter may have had on potential jurors after the first day,” Barone said. “After you talk to three or four jurors, you might have some reflection on how all of them are thinking.”

Jury selection is scheduled to resume today. Opening statements on the case are set for Oct. 3.