Twenty years ago – 1993
The Power Shop, located at 202 East Main St., Fredonia (in the former Pomfret C&E Agway location) recently held its grand opening celebration with a special “sawdust day.” Owner/operator Jon Longenecker welcomed Jonsered factory regional representative Larry Knapp to the event. Pressure washer, chain saw and log splitter demos were held, plus the store offered specials on chainsaw chains and accessories.
Thirty years ago – 1983
The West Drug Store at 339 Central Ave., Dunkirk was recently purchased by the Adams Drug Company. West Drug has been serving residents of Dunkirk since 1889. Since that time, the store has gone through several owners. Tom Lynch, the supervising pharmacist, has owned the store for 22 years. The name of the store under new ownership will be Brooks Drugs, which will continue to operate a store at the D&F Plaza.
Forty years ago – 1973
Philip S. Pelletter received the gavel from Daniel A. Putnam, outgoing president of the Dunkirk Chamber of Commerce, during installation ceremonies at the Dunkirk Club.
Fifty years ago – 1963
The Francisco Juame family, now living at 70 East Fourth St., Dunkirk are the city’s newest residents. They are refugees from Castro’s Communist regime in Cuba. Mr. Juame is an office equipment repairman at McClenathan Printery Inc.