Retrospective

Twenty years ago – 1993

For over 40 years, Cave’s Variety Store in Stockton has been open every day – including Christmas – to provide area residents with a convenient place to shop. Operated since 1952 by Ronald and Helen Cave of Fredonia, the store has become a landmark in the community. Located in the heart of the hamlet of Stockton, this four-corner facility offered everything from gasoline, work clothes, boots, hunting equipment and imported beer to home grown veggies, penny candy and the daily newspapers. The flavor of a small-town store will soon end as the store will close in the near future. The building itself is currently up for sale.

Thirty years ago – 1983

Staff Sgt. Frankie G. Torain, a seven-year veteran of the U.S. Army, recently assumed his duties as recruiter at the Dunkirk Recruiting Station, 61 East Fourth St. Prior to coming to Dunkirk S/Sgt. Torain, who resides at 627 Park Ave., Dunkirk was stationed for two years at Fort Meade, Md.

Forty years ago – 1973

The Regent Theater on Third Street, Dunkirk will be showing the newly-released motion picture, “Pippi Longstocking,” during the matinee today and tomorrow. All seats are $1.

Fifty years ago – 1963

An open house is being held today at the new Hilltop Rest Home, 44 South Main St., Cassadaga. Formerly the Cassadaga Elementary School, the home is owned and operated by Wesley Sly of Fredonia.