A brief history of the railroad in Cassadaga
The Cassadaga railroad station was built when the Dunkirk, Allegany Valley and Pittsburgh railroad was completed in 1871.
Actually the rail line ended in Titusville Pa., and never was completed to Pittsburgh. The line from Dunkirk to Titusville was a little more than 90 miles one way. The Cassadaga station (#7230) was at milepost 14.09 and located on what is now Commercial Street in Burnhams, N.Y.
There were four stops at the station per day, two on the southbound train at 9:40 a.m. and 3:21 p.m., and two on the northbound train at 11:16 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. Burnhams was a separate community from Cassadaga, and even had its own post office. Burnhams was dissolved in December 1942 and became part of the village of Cassadaga.
When the passenger train Dolly Varden was discontinued on June 13, 1937, the use for the Cassadaga Railroad Station diminished. The trains became freight hauling trains, and were completely discontinued in 1976.
In the early 1950’s, the Cassadaga Train Station was torn down and the lumber from the building was floated on the Cassadaga Lake to the Camp Gross area, and used for some of the small buildings at the camp.
An interesting story about the railway is Clarence Ames, who owned and operated Ames Lunch in Cassadaga, wrote his order for Walker Ice Cream, located in Warren, using a penny post card, got the card on the mail train by 5 p.m. and the next morning, his order for ice cream was on the northbound train from Warren.
John Sipos, Cassadaga village historian.