Fire rips through Sheridan home

SHERIDAN – A fire raged in the attic of a home on the corner of Middle and Center roads Friday night into Saturday morning.

Sheridan Fire Department First Assistant Chief Mike Keddie responded to the fire along with the East Dunkirk, city of Dunkirk, Fredonia, Forestville and Sunset Bay fire departments. The Chautauqua County Sheriffs Department was also on the scene.

The residents, one male and one female, were home when the fire started but made it out of the house when the fire departments arrived. The cause was traced to a gas fireplace. No one was injured.

Keddie noted half of the house was damaged from putting out the fire.

“The fire was pretty bad but was contained to the attic,” he said. “A lot of the damage done was due to water damage.”

The fire started around 10:45 p.m. and was put out by 1 a.m. The fire departments were at the residence until 4 a.m.

“The couple found somewhere to stay and left when we got there,” Keddie said. “Half of the house is savable; they didn’t lose everything.”