Cassadaga fire destroys trailer

CASSADAGA – A vacant mobile home has been destroyed in an early morning fire at 8275 Rood Road Saturday. Firefighters responded to the call around 8:30 a.m.

Cassadaga Fire Department Chief Tim Cobb Jr., said the mobile home was a total loss and the cause was deemed accidental.

He said the fire is believed to have been started by a wood stove with a hole in the bottom. An Amish worker had been working on the residence for several months, according to Cobb. The worker was able to escape without injury.

“He had been working there for a few months off and on. They were slowly tearing (the structure) down,” he said.

Since the structure was about 500 yards off the road, firefighters had no good access to the blaze initially. Snow was quite deep and all-terrain vehicles from neighboring fire departments were brought to battle the flames.

“Initially we stretched out a line in the woods. We used ATVs to transport manpower and equipment back and forth,” Cobb added.

Fire departments from Forestville, South Dayton and Sinclairville either brought manpower, ATVs or tankers for assistance. Stockton Fire Department stood by at Cassadaga as all their equipment was on the scene. There were no other injuries reported.

“For what we had for conditions, everything went very smoothly,” Cobb said.

Comments on this article may be sent to smcdonnell@observertoday.com