Armed robbery at 7-Eleven; police search for suspect

JAMESTOWN – An armed robbery at yet another 7-Eleven has Jamestown Police scouring the city for a knife-wielding suspect.

According to police, the suspect entered the 7-Eleven, located at 340 Allen St. in Jamestown, on Sunday at 12:50 a.m.

Armed with a long knife and wearing a black ski mask over his face, the suspect ordered an employee to open the register where he reportedly stole cash from the drawer. The suspect then locked the employee in a back room and took a quantity of Newport King Menthol cigarettes prior to leaving the store.

The employee was uninjured.

The suspect is described as a short, young, Hispanic male – 5 feet 3 inches to 5 feet 5 inches tall. Police said he speaks broken English and was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt with dark pants. The suspect also wore dark-colored shoes with a white design and white trim and soles.

Anyone who may recognize this suspect based on this description, his shoes or choice of cigarettes is asked to contact the Jamestown Police Department at 483-7537, or they can leave an anonymous tip at 483-TIPS (8477). All calls will be kept confidential.

Local 7-Eleven stores have indeed been a frequent target for robbers.

The armed suspect involved in the robbery of the East Second Street 7-Eleven on April 1 is apparently still at large, according to Jamestown Police.

The suspect, who was caught on surveillance video entering the 7-Eleven shortly before 2 a.m., was seen pulling out an automatic weapon before demanding cash from the store’s two employees.

No employees were injured.

He is believed to be a 6-foot to 6-foot-2-inch black man with a thin build, police said.

The North Main Street 7-Eleven was also the target of an armed robbery on March 24, when 23-year-old Thomas W. Lawson, of Jamestown, reportedly entered the store at 5:41 a.m., dressed in Carhartt overalls, a gray hooded sweatshirt and a mask covering his face.

He allegedly wielded a large knife and fled with an undisclosed amount of cash and cigarettes.

He was later found and charged with two counts of first-degree armed robbery.